Could too much love breed rebellion?
The catnapping seventh-born.
"The youngest, cheekiest, and most cunning of the demon brothers. Until a certain incident took place, he respected Lucifer the most among his brothers."
Belphegor is the Avatar of Sloth and is the youngest and 7th sibling among the seven demon brothers. He is one of the main characters in Obey Me! One Master to Rule Them All that is involved in the intimacy system of the game; therefore, users can interact and raise their relationship with him.
Belphegor has dark bluish-grey, white-tipped hair with long bangs that cover his right eye, and violet eyes with a pink gradient like his twin Beelzebub. He's among the shortest of brothers, at least compared to Beelzebub. Like all of the demon brothers, Belphegor paints his nails and specifically wears cerulean blue nail polish.
Demon FormWhen taking his demon form, Belphegor reveals his two twisted rams horns as well as his long, cow-like tail. His demon outfit has a cow motif with his black hoodie having a cow-like pattern and a horseshoe stitched on its upper right side. The hoodie is designed with four buckles at the front with one being belted properly. Inside, he wears a blue shirt while the inside of the hoodie shares the same color. He wears black baggy harem pants with a belt of magenta and blue triangles on the right side. His short combat boots reveal the cow-spot birthmarks on his right ankle, which also appear on the right side of his neck.
School UniformBelphegor wears the standard RAD uniform. His top is shorter compared to the others, reaching only his waist thus resembling a normal length school uniform and has two unbuttoned buttons. With the length of his uniform, he is revealed to be wearing a white belt. Inside, he wears a well-buttoned collared green shirt and blue necktie.
Casual AttireBelphegor wears a hooded shawl jacket with one blue and white striped pocket on the left side of the chest. The inside of the hood is in the color of bright blue. The jacket is buttoned in the middle; the third button is the one enclosed. The jacket's cuffs are white and it also has two white stripes on the right sleeve. He wears yellowish-brown pants and brown laced leather boots that reach his knees. When in his casual attire, Belphegor carries a cow-patterned pillow with a cow tail strapped to it at all times.
Human World LookBelphie wears a light blue shirt with a black and white heartbeat pattern on it, which also has a black collar and a black and white hem on the bottom. On it, he wears an asymmetrical windbreaker, with a right sleeve that is white with a black stripe on it, and a left one that is black with a white stripe on it. The windbreaker has light green and indigo accents, and a white hoodie.
Always napping and constantly sleepy, Belphegor is the second youngest of the demon brothers but ranked as seventh due to his powers. He is a clever trickster and liar and - despite once loving humans - developed a strong hatred towards them due to his belief they were the cause of Lilith's death. But Belphegor could never quite bring himself to hate the realm of humans; what he truly hated was Lilith's fate.
Unable to accept the fact that he survived the Great Celestial War while Lilith perished, he grew to “hate” humans because he had no other way to express his anger. After learning the truth that Lilith did survive and had a family, leading to MC, his hatred for humanity masking a hatred for himself began to dissipate and was able to begin healing centuries-old wounds.
Belphegor sometimes has a brisk tempter, but he's also proactive, efficient, sensible, and mellow. He isn't particularly sociable, but makes an exception for MC, who he like to cuddle and take naps with. He also lies about the fact that he doesn't like to be pet. He isn't the type to say sorry or accept apologies from others, for he sees an action or gesture as an act of forgiveness far stronger than words. He has expressed regret in "killing" MC and accepts the fact that MC does not forgive him (if they chose so).
Belphegor is rebellious, as he does not care for any higher authorities, especially Diavolo and his whims. He is naturally manipulative and a great actor, posing to MC as a human prisoner of Lucifer's when they first met. It wasn't until MC identified him as Belphegor by recognizing his portrait that he admitted his identity.
After his initial freedom from the attic, he shows sadistic tendencies and he's delighted to see the broken faces of his brothers, mainly Lucifer. Since he's been locked up for months on end and was not terribly healthy-minded before that, it's possible the imprisonment drove him to the point of insanity, which resulted in this behavior. After the initial event, he hasn't acted this way at later points in the story.
Out of all his brothers, he's closest with his twin, Beelzebub, to whom he shares a telepathic link. He used to highly respect of Lucifer, but quickly despised him after he swore his loyalty to Diavolo. After MC helped amended their relationship he doesn't outright hate his eldest brother, but does find him suffocating. He and Satan form an alliance where they enjoy pranking Lucifer and generally making his life miserable in any way they can.
Belphegor was born in the Celestial Realm as an angel along with his brothers and younger sister, Lilith. He, Beelzebub, and Lilith were all very close. He had loved humans and was always sneaking down to the human world, which led Lilith to become interested as well.
After Lilith fell in love with a human, she was severely punished for trying to cure his illness, which sparked a war with all the brothers fighting against their father. During what became known as the Great Celestial War, he and Lilith were nearly killed before Beelzebub made the choice to save him, knowing he couldn't save both Belphegor and the mortally wounded Lilith.
Many years after settling in at the Devildom, Diavolo proposed an exchange program with the other worlds. While the other student council members were for it, Belphegor was strongly against it. After the meeting, he pleaded with Lucifer to make Diavolo change his mind, but Lucifer refused.
When Belphegor reminded him about Lilith, Lucifer questioned what she had to do with Lord Diavolo's goal. Lucifer's dismissal of their sister sent Belphegor into a rage and he threatened to go to the human world and destroy everyone in it, only to be subdued and imprisoned in the attic until he changed his mind.
Belphegor, being portrayed as a voice in the early parts of the game, continuously calls out to MC for help from the attic where he is locked up, but MC is unable to reach him because Lucifer keeps catching them before they can climb the attic stairs. Eventually, MC is able to distract Lucifer with the cursed TSL soundtrack, obtained after making a pact with Leviathan, and finally reach the attic and the source of the mysterious voice.
When MC asks about his identity, Belphegor lies and claims that he's a human just like them. He continues the conversation by saying a demon was the one who locked him up there, that demon being Lucifer. Belphegor then pleads MC to help him.
The door to the room Belphegor is in cannot be opened by either of them as it is sealed with very powerful magic. Belphegor suggests MC make pacts with the rest of the demon brothers, as only their combined powers will open the door. With MC having already made pacts with Mammon and Leviathan, Belphegor suggests Beelzebub be the next target.
After MC talks to Beelzebub and realizes that the missing brother is Belphegor, they confront him about his lies. Belphegor implies that he had just been teasing and that humans are a foolish lot. He then explains that all he wants is to have a proper talk with Lucifer, but MC is hesitant to trust him knowing he'd lied to them. After clearing their thoughts, MC comes back after a day and agrees to help Belphegor by making pacts with his brothers and setting him free. Belphegor then warns them to never speak to his brothers of his situation.
After making a pact with Beelzebub, Belphegor is impressed by how far MC's come along and they discuss the exchange party at the Demon Lord's Castle. MC also tells him what Lucifer said to them about a spell that bars demons from entering the attic, but angels and humans are able to pass through.
They also tell him that Lucifer is convinced that MC can't see him or this room. Belphegor sees this as good news and wonders why an ordinary human was picked for the exchange program. He then tells MC to find out why they were chosen while staying at the castle during the retreat.
[Please note that this section only has information up to Lesson 7]
- His symbolic animal is a cow, which symbolizes trust, positivity, and fertility. It assists in understanding relationships needed for fertility.
- His battle dance stage animal is a bear. Bears are stereotypically considered lazy because they hibernate.
- There's also a species of a bear called the sloth bear.
- As stated in Issue 5 of the RAD Newspaper, Belphie enjoys "chill" piano music.
- Also in Issue 5, it's stated that Belphie's tail has the occasional thorn and is prickly to the touch.
- His name on Devilgram is "Belphie".
- His D.D.D's cover is pink.
- There is a strong possibility that he's left-handed, due to the fact he's the only brother that uses his left hand in high-five interactions.
- Despite having his existence and identity kept a secret from MC up until Lesson 3, he still makes appearances in: cards in MC's contacts, story stages of Events, and references by characters on the home screen.
- It's also possible to choose him for your home screen Majolish right at the game's beginning.
- In the TSL fandom, the Lord of Emptiness is based on him.
- The plot of the Lord of Corruption imprisoning the Lord of Emptiness is exactly how Lucifer imprisoned Belphegor.
- Asmodeus claims that Belphegor has the nicest smile.
- In the phone call Imaginary Date, Belphegor tells MC that he likes the Devildom Botanical Garden.
- Belphegor is supposedly a yandere character.
- This is based on the title of his Japanese card "The Yandere Seventh-Born" ("The Catnapping Seventh-Born" in English).
- Beelzebub tells MC in Lesson 5-4 that Belphegor and another student named Diaval were sent to the human world for the exchange program.
- Also in Lesson 5-4, when Beelzebub shows MC Belphegor's portrait, it is from the card Hatred.
From Devilgram Stories
- In Morning Voice, it is revealed Belphegor can fall asleep within 3 minutes.
- As seen in both Searching for Jack and in chats, Belphegor has no artistic skill.
- In Seven Rulers of Hell, Belphie claims to be a cat person.
- However, according to his birthday feature in the RAD Newspaper, Belphie prefers dogs over cats.
- According to Beel in Twin Birthday Bash, fried Quetzalcoatl brains are his favorite dish.
- In What Sort of Cake?, it is revealed that Belphegor has written a thesis titled Analysis of Human Barometers of Good and Evil and Their Inherent Stupidity, which is highly praised by Diavolo as an enlightening research.